Research indicates that one of the deepest fears of people is having lived a meaningless life. To create meaning in one’s life it is important to find your purpose.
Dudley Lynch, author of “Strategy of the Dolphin” defines living with purpose in several different ways:
Purpose serves as an anchor-a device of the mind to provide some stability, to keep from tossing us to and fro, from inflicting constant seasickness on us.
Or we can think of our purpose as being a master of nautical chart marking rocks, sandbars and derelicts, something to guide us and keep us on course.
Perhaps the most profound thing we can say about being on purpose is that when that is our status, our condition, and our comfort, we find our lives have meaning and when we are “off Purpose” we are confused about meanings and motives. Listed below are 10 tips to help you discover your life’s purpose.
1. What do you love to do when you have spare time?
2. What parts of your present job or life’s activities do you thoroughly enjoy?
3. What do you naturally do well? What comes to you easily?
4. Name 10 greatest successes to date in YOUR eyes. It could be simple or great. Also tell what you felt made it a success. Benefits to others or self.
5. Are there causes or issues in which you feel passionate about? What are they and what is it about the cause you are attracted to?
6. What are the 10 most important lessons you have learned in your life. What are the 10 most important beliefs in your life? Include pivotal experiences in your life.
7. What can you do for hours on end?
8. What do you dream or daydream about doing? Why?
9. What would you do differently if you only had 6 months to live? What are you waiting for to make these things happen?
10. What would you do if you knew you could not fail?
Begin the process of aligning with your life’s purpose and bring greater meaning into your life!